It’s finally starting to cool off in Phoenix, Arizona and your cooped up family is about to start crawling the walls, if they don’t get out. Try this list of places to go this fall where your kids can run around, be loud, burn off all that extra energy and no one will mind in the least! From pumpkin farms to hayrides, corn mazes to petting zoos, there is something to wear out every child, and a parent or two.
1. Phoenix Zoo – Boo! At the Zoo is a popular fall event at the Phoenix Zoo. On October 24th and 25th from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., the farm area is turned into a fall festival for children 7 & under and all the zoo’s residents enjoy chomping down pumpkins. For the older crowd, check out Howl-o-Ween – Nature’s Nightmares. Stop by October 29th and 30th after 6:30 p.m. for haunted trails, trick or treating and a headless horseman. Zoo admission is $18 for adults and $9 for children, 3-12 or, look into an economical membership. Boo! At the Zoo is included in the price of admission but Howl-o-Ween is a separate, after hour’s fee of $8 for everyone 8 years and up. Phoenix – 602/273-1341
2. Desert Botanical Garden – The Great Pumpkin Festival offers hayrides to the Garden’s own pumpkin patch where children 12 and under get to pick a pumpkin for free. They also offer a hay bale maze, petting zoo and live music. Head on over October 21 – 24, Thursday and Friday 9 a.m. – noon, Saturday and Sunday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Admission to the Desert Botanical Garden is $15 for adults, $13.50 for seniors, $7.50 for students, 13-18 and $5 for children, 3-12. If you haven’t tried out their version of fall family fun, you’re in for a treat (pun intended). Phoenix – 480/481-8188
3. Vertuccio Farms – Let your kids wear themselves out in their 10 acre corn maze, hay bale maze, pumpkin patch and train ride. The farm also offers a “Pizza Farm”; an area shaped like a pizza where each slice grows an ingredient for the kid favorite. Open October 1 – November 20. Monday – Thursday 9 a.m. – 9p.m., Friday and Saturday 9 a.m. – 10 p.m. and Sunday 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. $7 for everyone ages 4 and up. Mesa 480/650-6611
4. Schnepf Farms – Voted Arizona’s Best Fall Event, the Pumpkin and Chili Party offers up some serious family fun! Join them for pig racing, a pumpkin farm, rides, a petting zoo, 4 acre maze, bon fire pits with marshmallows for roasting and fireworks on Friday and Saturday nights. Open Thursday – Sunday on October. Thursday 4 p.m. – 9 p.m., Friday 4 p.m. – 10 p.m., Saturday 10 a.m. – 10 p.m. and Sunday 10 a.m. – 9 p.m. $15 for everyone, age 2 and up. Queen Creek 480/987-3100
5. Mother Nature’s Farm – Your family will enjoy some real family fun with a hay bale maze, petting zoo, pumpkin patch (starting 10/2) and hayrides. Open daily 9 a.m. – 9 p.m. $7 for children and $3 for adult tag-a-longs. Gilbert 480/892-5874
6. Tolmachoff Farms – Burn off some energy in their 6 acre corn maze, petting zoo, hay bale pyramid and then help feed the chickens. Open 10/1 through 11/21. Hours in October are Sunday – Thursday 9 a.m. – 8 p.m. and Friday-Saturday 9 a.m. – 11 p.m. Hours in November are Tuesday – Saturday 9 a.m. – 8 p.m. and Sunday 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. Admission is $7 for everyone ages 2 and up. Glendale 623/386-1301
So get your family out of the house and enjoy some fall fun! Call ahead for directions or check them out here Phoenix Zoo, Desert Botanical Gardens, Schnepf Farms, Mother Nature’s Farm and Tolmachoff Farms.